Kenworth Truck Calendar, acrylic painting from 1979 by George McLachlan. The scene depicts the corner of Granville and Hastings, a popular intersection to take a picture perfect postcard, as many images in the Vancouver Archives are taken from this very same vantage point.

The name Kenworth came into being in 1923, and this truck appears to be from this early era. The style of manned traffic light system shown here remained in effect until 1928, according to Chuck Davis. This would explain why the Trorey Clock is missing from the painting, as Birks had purchased the Trorey business back in 1907 and moved the clock up to Georgia & Granville in 1913.

A Birks pin, 2.5” long, showing a key to the city of Vancouver, inscribed with the words Vancouver & Dist. LBA (Lawn Bowling Association, apparently). Courtesy of Neil Whaley.

A Birks pin, 2.5” long, showing a key to the city of Vancouver, inscribed with the words Vancouver & Dist. LBA (Lawn Bowling Association, apparently). Courtesy of Neil Whaley.

The Sign of the Clock, Souvenirs in Gold. Henry Birks & Sons advert, with George E. Trorey acting as managing director. Originally known as the Trorey Clock, it became the Birks clock when Trorey sold his business to Henry Birks and Sons of Montreal in 1906. Advertisement from the August 1907 issue of Western Ho! Magazine, seen on Archive.org.

The Sign of the Clock, Souvenirs in Gold. Henry Birks & Sons advert, with George E. Trorey acting as managing director. Originally known as the Trorey Clock, it became the Birks clock when Trorey sold his business to Henry Birks and Sons of Montreal in 1906. Advertisement from the August 1907 issue of Western Ho! Magazine, seen on Archive.org.