Derelict in Coal Harbour, a print by EJ Hughes, from the National Gallery of Canada. This drypoint on buff wove paper was dated 1935, and was a gift of the artist to the gallery. More work from the gallery’s collection here.
Lady Alexandra, brochure for a floating restaurant made from a Union Steamship vessel that was withdrawn from service in 1953. According to wikipedia, the ship was converted into a restaurant in 1960, where it was “…was moored at Coal Harbor in Vancouver. Later the vessel was towed to California, and was wrecked in a storm in March, 1980, at Redondo Beach, California. This brochure was influenced by Bernard Buffet, perhaps?
Coal Harbour by Ivor Williams, circa 1918, from The Gold Stripe, Volume 1.
Deadman’s Island (Coal Harbour), early 20th century. Looking towards the squatters’ shacks on Deadman’s Island. Anonymous watercolour (possibly initialed AA in the bottom right corner). From the Everett Family Collection, in the fine art collection of the Vancouver Maritime Museum.
W R Menchions Shipyard, Coal Harbour, Vancouver (by Miss
E M M L Lewis in the 1920s or 1930s), as seen at the Vancouver Antiquarian Book Fair, 2010.
More info on the shipyard from: http://www.library.ubc.ca/spcoll/rescol/rescolm.html
Menchions, W.R., 1871-1946
W.R. Menchions was one of the best-known wooden boat builders in Canada. Born in 1871 in Bay Robert, Newfoundland, Menchions found employment as a boat builder and a fisherman there. In 1896 he came to Vancouver where he soon established what became one of the port’s leading boatyards.